The Healing Blossom: RECIPE: Dark Chocolate No-bake Oatmeal Cookies

Sunday, December 23, 2012

RECIPE: Dark Chocolate No-bake Oatmeal Cookies

   
Dark Chocolate No-bake Oatmeal Cookies (without peanut butter)

 
These cookies are probably the first thing I learned how to cook. Recently I tried to find that old recipe on-line but all of the similar recipes were a bit bland. Most of the recipes included peanut butter and not very much chocolate...making them kinda blah...

I played with the ingredients to make the cookies like I remembered them. I tossed out the peanut butter and doubled or tripled the cocoa powder to get the right amount. YES! This is exactly how I remembered them.
 
Sure this isn't my typical healthy recipe posting as it does include sugar and butter. I tried to make them with sugar and butter alternatives but it didn't work.
 
After all, it's the holidays and we're all allowed to splurge a little, right?? I'm still remaining gluten-free but adding in a little dairy and sugar won't hurt. That being said, this recipe cannot be made vegan or Paleo friendly like my others. But it can be made gluten free - at least for those who can eat oats. If you are making the cookies for someone with celiacs, make sure to purchase gluten free oats. Many companies that process oats also process wheat and the oats can be cross contaminated. For someone with celiacs, the oats need to be certified gluten-free. Whole Foods sells gluten-free oats.

The original recipes called for quick oats...the more processed version oats with less fiber. My attempt to make this recipe a little healthier includes rolled oats instead of quick oats. I actually prefer them this way, it has more of a chewy texture like a granola bar.


The ingredients are simple, if you want to make these cookies, here's your shopping list:

2 cups of Sugar
1/2 cup of Cocoa
1/2 cup of Vanilla Almond Milk
1 stick of Butter (melted)
1 teaspoon of Salt
4 cups Rolled Oats
1 teaspoon of Vanilla
Wax paper


Makes 48 cookies

The trick to this recipe is timing. If you don't cook it long enough, you'll have really gooey cookies. If you cook it too long, they can be hard as rocks.

Tip: I melt the butter first - or at least make sure it's room temp. Make sure you use REAL butter - not that stuff made from oil that looks like butter. Get the real stuff. 1 stick of butter is equal to 1/2 cup or 1/4 lb. of butter. I usually put my butter in a glass bowl and set it on the stove or in the oven its  already warm, I don't use a microwave.

If you don't have almond milk, you can use regular milk. I have not tested the recipe with soy, hemp or coconut milk.

Pre-measure your oats and vanilla before you start cooking. This will save you time and hopefully avoid over cooking (remember it will continue to cook after you've removed it from heat so it's best to have the oats, vanilla, and anything else you want to add all ready to go.

Also, lay out your wax paper.


Here are the 6 simple steps:

1. In a saucepan (My 10 cup saucepan worked perfect) combine melted butter, sugar, cocoa and salt. Do not turn on heat until the ingredients have been stirred together. Or if you melted the butter in the saucepan remove from heat. Combine all other ingredients in a bowl, stir, then add to the butter mixture and stir together.
 


This image shows all the ingredients mixed together before the heat is turned on.



2. Turn heat to just above medium, stir ingredients until sugar is melted.
 
 
 
4. Bring to a boil and boil for 1-2 minutes. I usually boil 1 minute and 30 seconds....I like them a little gooey.


Do not over cook or they will be rock hard.














5. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in oats.



6. Stir in vanilla and anything else you choose to add such as walnuts or coconut.










Make sure to completely cover oats with chocolate mixture.











7. Drop by spoonful on wax paper and let cool. They will be gooey at first - the longer they sit, the harder they get.



ENJOY!!

Happy Holidays from The Healing Blossom
 


1 comment:

  1. I am going to give this a shot. Looks tasty and easy. I only have coconut milk and regular milk on hand so I may use regular. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete