The Healing Blossom: RECIPE: Healing Broth

Sunday, January 27, 2013

RECIPE: Healing Broth

I use to use the broth on my Whole Body Detox plan to assist in detoxification and to take away cravings when trying to lose weight. I now prefer to use homemade bone broth. I'm leaving this up because I have friends that still like homemade vegetable broth.

Healing Broth


Ingredients
  • 10 cups of filtered water (or enough water to submerse the veggies)
  • 4 one-inch slices of fresh ginger (use more if you like the zing of ginger)
  • 4 cloves of whole garlic (not chopped or crushed)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • 2 celery stalks
  • 1-2 cups of sweet potatoes
  • 2 cups of chopped beet greens (or use kale, collard greens, chard, dandelion, cilantro or other greens. I prefer beet greens, it gives the broth a nice red color)
  • ½ cup of cabbage
  • ½ cup fresh shitake mushrooms
  • 1 cup of daikon or white radish root and tops (ideal, but optional)
  • 1 teaspoon of Dulse powder (or use a few sheets of nori)
  • Himalayan salt, to taste

  1. Add all the ingredients to a large stock pot and place on a low boil for approximately 60 minutes. It may take a little longer. Simply continue to boil to taste.
  2. Cool, strain (throw out the cooked vegetables), and store in a large, tightly-sealed glass container in the fridge.

Heat gently and drink up to 2–4 cups a day. If possible, avoid using the microwave. Heat on the stove or diluted with hot water heated in a teapot or heated water filter spout.

Makes 8 cups

Blossom Tips:

Save, wash and re-use glass juice bottles or Kombucha bottles for your broth.

I prefer to make the broth very concentrated so it doesn’t take up too much space in my fridge (I always make a double batch). Plus I don’t like to heat it up in the microwave and I don’t care for it cold. I prefer to pour the concentrated broth into a mug and fill half way. Then I add hot water to dilute it and warm it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment