The Healing Blossom: Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy - Day 1

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy - Day 1

I didn’t sleep well last night; too nervous I guess. We had to be downtown at 7:15 this morning to check into the hospital. You can’t eat or drink anything after midnight. This is to keep your stomach contents from getting into the lungs during anesthesia. I was also required to do a pregnancy test before the surgery. I couldn’t drink anything in the morning so I refrained from using the bathroom when I woke up. After the test I got changed into my surgery gown. The Bear Paw gown and socks were warm and comfortable for a hospital gown – much better than a thin flimsy gown that’s open in the back.

Each doctor came in to meet me and my ENT doctor gave Simon the prescriptions. The doctor explained the Coblation tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy surgery. I asked the doctor about liquid Lortab but he said he doesn’t give liquid pain medication because it’s not as strong. He suggested crushing up the Percocet and mixing it with sorbet or applesauce. By 8:40 AM I was given some happy juice to relax me. I gave my glasses to Simon and they wheeled me out of the room about 5 minutes later, that’s the last thing I remember.

When I came to I could feel a machine squeezing my legs. A nurse was talking to me about my low heart rate and said she needed to inform the doctor. I think she asked me if I was an athlete and I must have told her yes. I faintly remember telling her about my goals for completing a Century Ride this year and a Triathlon. I’ve been doing some pretty intense Yoga 4-5 days a week for the last 3 weeks – but I haven’t really done much cardio training the last 4 months. I don’t think that makes me an athlete…..hmmm….I wonder what else I said when I was out of it? Well…I’m not an athlete, but this will be my year I reach my athletic goals. I was pretty close to reaching my goal last summer….maybe if I hadn’t come down strep or that other throat infection, I would’ve done better.

As I was being wheeled into my recovery room I noticed my throat felt like something was in it, like cotton. The nurse gave me a bottled water – she also offered coke products which I thought sounded painful.  I was told not to use straws until I’m healed because sucking on a straw can cause bleeding. Then I was offered sorbet with crushed Percocet and some applesauce.

When I was ready to leave, Simon helped me get dressed and the nurse wheeled me out to the car. We had to make a couple stops on the way home. In addition to the Percocet and the amoxicillin I was given a prescription for tetra-caine lollipops which can only be found at certain compounding pharmacys like Jolley’s. I read these were a must to have. It seems like those who suffered the most did not have these.

After the pharmacy we stopped at Sonic to get a bag of crushed ice. They sell bags of ice for $1.79. Crushed ice is a lot easier to eat than whole ice cubes. It should be a requirement when having your tonsils out.

After we arrived home, Simon helped me to the couch where I quickly set-up camp and fell asleep. The nurse suggesting sleeping at a 30-45 degree angle so the couch seemed like the best place to set-up camp. Simon’s parents stopped by and brought some Mango juice. It may be a few more days before I can enjoy it.

I woke from my nap around 5pm. I felt pretty good. The anesthesia wore off and I felt pretty normal for a little while until the pain in my throat kicked in. Simon crushed up the perocet and blended it with some Amazing Grass Green Superfoods, frozen strawberries and coconut water. The amoxicillin is the pink bubble gum flavor you get prescribed as a kid…..Mmmm….just like I remember.

After my Percocet dosage I’m able to sit up and actually feel ok. I am able to talk, my voice comes and goes and it’s much easier if I talk softly. If I have to raise my voice, it hurts. As I reach the 4 hour point I feel wiped out and the pain starts to kick in. I've been eating my coconut water popsicles as well as the peach-apple-prune-aloe juice pops.

I’ve set-up my new humidifier to help keep my throat from drying out. Hopefully I can sleep tonight…..

No comments:

Post a Comment