The Healing Blossom: Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy - Day 2

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy - Day 2

I tried to sleep partially sitting up, the nurse said to sleep at 45-30 degree angle. It didn’t work very well.  My head kept sliding to the left or right sending shocking razor like pain up my throat. After several throat shocks I realized it was 4 AM and time for another dose of Percocet. When I went back to sleep I removed the big pillow and laid back just slightly elevating my head. I slept much better.

For the most part I’m handling the pain medication OK. Simon can tell once I’m past the 4 hour mark. It’s really hard to talk and I’m always lying down, ½ asleep. He’ll mix up the crushed percoset with applesauce and within 20 minutes of taking the medication I’m sitting up. I can usually do some things around the house at that point or work on my computer. Then 1-2 hours after I’ve taken the medication, I get dizzy. I have to lay down until it passes – it’s a bit of a roller coaster. The ear pain has not started yet, so it’s still the calm before the storm. Here are some other things I’m experiencing:

·         My ears are sensitive to sound. Normally sounds like the washer don’t bother me but everything seems really loud.

·         My body is swollen like I’m retaining water. It must be the side effect of the Percocet. I read through the fine print and it could cause a problem with my thyroid too. I’ll be really upset if I don’t lose any weight over the next few weeks. With a thyroid problem you can starve yourself and not lose weight. I specifically started my detox 3 weeks ago and stayed on it for 2 weeks so I could shut off any thyroid issue that would prevent me from losing weight.

·         Another side effect of the Percocet is constipation. Normally I’m very regular – 2-3 times per day. Yesterday I didn’t have a movement. This morning I drank my Percocet with prune juice and aloe and it seemed to help because I had one movement.

·         The only thing that still feels good to eat is the crushed ice and the homemade popsicles. I don’t like the feeling of anything that coats the throat or gets little bits caught. (strawberry seeds or even soaked chia seeds). I’m also tired of sweet stuff. These popsicles are not very sweet compared to store bought popsicles but it’s still too much sweet. I’ve had a couple of glasses of organic vegetable broth to balance it. 

·         If I drink or eat anything that’s not a Popsicle or ice, I can feel it partially going up my nose when I swallow. Or I can feel the air up my nose when I swallow. I think that will go away when the swelling goes down….I hope.

·         Today I tried some organic baby food from Sprout – Roasted Apples and Blueberries. I liked it – it’s smooth, not grainy or pulpy like regular applesauce. I try to eat something that’s a little more substantial when I take the Percocet. So far the applesauce is working – it’s kept me from getting sick.

Day 2 Diet:

·         Peach-Apple-Prune-Aloe Juice popsicle

·         Coconut water popsicle

·         Applesauce (mixed with Percocet)

·         Organic Roasted Apples & Blueberries (baby food)

·         Chocolate Rice Protein Energizer with Borage Oil, Green Superfoods, Chlorophyll and Chia seeds. (I could only drink ¼ of it.)

·         Organic Healing Vegetable Broth (cold)

·         Sleepytime tea with a little honey (room temp)

·         Aloe Juice and Coconut water over crushed ice…..(I hated the taste of the Aloe juice at first but now I love it – it’s feels so good on my throat)

NEXT: Day 3 - Tonsillectomy

No comments:

Post a Comment